Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 42: Pillow Talk

“And lead me in the way everlasting …” Psalm 139:24

Do you ever have those mornings when even before you stretch that first toe from under the covers you are tempted to pull the pillow over your head, and hide from the impending doom that awaits you? This was one such morning. It is the first day since I returned from my recent out of state travels that I have not had a full agenda, and knowing that I have a very busy weekend ahead of me, I gave serious consideration to pulling my toe back to safety, grabbing my pillow and hanging on for dear life. As much as I love my pillow, and as truly comforting as it is, I knew giving it a good snuggle would not dispel my imagined doom, but rather cause it to loom with greater foreboding. There is only once place I could go to brighten my little black rain cloud.

“O God, you are my God; early will I seek you: my soul thirsts for you…” Psalm 63:1

I asked God for the amazing this morning, and it made me smile.

I know that He wants the very best for me, and I have also learned that I am not always the very best judge of just exactly what that might look like, but the more that I seek Him, the more clearly I understand myself, and His very good plans for me. I have also learned that scripture is very clear on the subject of asking; He wants us to ask, we often don’t have because we don’t ask, and He wants us to ask with pure motives and according to His will.

Now this last part can get a little tricky, as I know that my own heart can be a raging battleground when it comes to purity in my own motives, and being as I often don’t understand my Father’s ways, I also seem to struggle with the according to His will part. Nonetheless, I have absolutely no desire to miss out on a blessing He intends for me, or for someone He has encouraged me to pray for, so leaving my humanness to Him, I simply ask, and I ask for the amazing, trusting that He will purify my motives, and guide my prayers.

“Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we think or ask...”
Ephesian 3:20

I want to be a bringer of life. I want to be a source of encouragement those I dearly love, and those God brings into my life. As a friend of mine recently stated, “What's the point? To love and to love hard.” I believe this to be a great truth, and I have watched her walk it out in her daily life. I also know that there are circumstances in her life that may cause her to want to pull the pillow over her head, and draw her toe to safety. Yet day to day, she chooses to be a living example of a woman whose soul thirsts for God, and she takes her concerns and the concerns of those she loves to first to her Father, and from Him her love flows freely. As she commits her way to Him, not only has God answered some of her prayers in astounding ways, He has caused her to be a woman who is greatly respected, a bringer of life.

“…He who waits for his master will be honored.” Proverbs 27:18

Many mornings for each of us, I am sure that the covers are a far more comfortable option than the cold air and early morning hours we may have to conquer to spend time in conversation with God. Still I must confess, I want to see the amazing, even if this morning the amazing may only be that I pulled the covers off those toes and came to sit with my master.

Lord,

Thank you that I can ask You for anything, just the knowledge of such a privilege makes a smile spread across my face. In the asking I know that sometimes You will choose something other than what I ask, still I know your plans are good. I entrust myself to You, and pray that You will call me daily to your throne, and give me the heart to pull the pillow from my head, and run to You that you might truly lead me in the way everlasting.

Your Beloved

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Stacy. Thank you for directing me here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I remember this one, or maybe I wasn't listening when I read it before. I forget to ask for the amazing and try to do it on my own. This reminded me that I need to trust more in the good things He has for me...oh, and ask for them.

    ReplyDelete