Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 33: Heaven on My Mind

“For surely there is a hereafter…” Proverbs 23:18

Heaven is on my mind, but so is Earth, and the life that I am leading, while I walk this earth.

In less than a month, my first grandchild will make his inaugural appearance on this spinning planet, and I care deeply, that my life will make an impact on him for eternity.

Fifteen years ago his grandfather left this earth, never to know this sweet baby boy that I will soon have the privilege to coo over, and yet, I have the hope that the legacy of the grandfather will live on in the grandson.

I am reading through the Proverbs in my daily time of study, and today came across the following scripture:

The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice,
And he who begets a wise child will delight in him.
Let your father and your mother be glad,
And let her who bore you rejoice.

Proverbs 23: 24-25

Immediately, I underlined the passage and scrawled the date, and these words, “For my Grandson,” and as I did, my heart knew the perfect way to share this blessing with him in a lasting and impactful way. I walked to my bookshelf, and pulled a beautifully bound edition of the wilderness stories of Jack London. I opened the cover to reveal the sepia tinged paper and inscribed the scripture on the title page along with the following message:

My dearest first born grandson-

This book belonged to your Grandpa Darren, and was a favorite of his.
Your mother remembers the stories from her childhood,
May you enjoy the adventure as well.
You are a precious gift of God, designed for a beautiful purpose.
I look forward to watching you grow.
Be wise my grandson.
I love you,

Grammie Stacey


My Father in Heaven,

Your name is truly holy! I am so thankful for this little life that You are bringing to my daughter and my son in law. How I ask that You will somehow use my life to help raise this little boy into a godly man, a man who will leave a legacy that will endure for generations, even as his grandfather, and even greater. May your will be done on this earth, in our lives, Lord, and to your glory.

Your Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment