Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 32: Treasures

“Through wisdom a house is built,
And by understanding it is established;
By knowledge the rooms are filled
With all precious and pleasant riches.”
Proverbs 24: 3-4

The day has slipped away again, swiftly, silently, like a star shooting through a midnight sky, causing me to blink and wonder if I saw it at all. My husband sleeps soundly in our bed, tired from the pre-dawn alarm that called him back to his first day of work in this New Year, and I too long to pull the downy comforter up over my ears. My soon to be a man of a son sits at his desk still pouring over his senior year studies, and my energetic pre-teen gets out of bed for yet another hug, a pretense, but still one I have trouble turning away.

Laundry still sits waiting to be folded; dishes wait patiently on the counter, asking to be tucked in the dishwasher. The tasks will be there tomorrow, and for that matter the next, as well. For now my thoughts run to the moments of my day that I hope will have a value that will last beyond the minute trajectory of my lifetime. I am searching the corners of my mind for the treasures, the “precious and pleasant riches”, and hoping I have filled my house to rafters with these shining wonders:

An I love you and a smile to my husband.

Ten minutes on the phone encouraging my daughter, as she puts her life in order to move across the country, as well as another hour spent talking to her older sister as she awaits the birth of her first child.

A ticket purchased to fly out to celebrate the birth of that sweet baby, my first grandson.

A little back scratching at bed-time, a silly lullaby, a kiss, a hug: acts of love.

A few sweet breaths leaning in the door jamb of my sons room, watching him work. A teasing comment, a smile, an apology for an earlier act of thoughtlessness.

Time spent on my knees praying for each and every member of this beautiful family that has been entrusted to me.

This is the wealth I seek. A moment invested wisely, a concern truly heard. A hug, a prayer, a kiss, a smile; time stopped so a memory can be painted on the heart of someone I love. May it be a priceless work of art, almost as beautiful as the canvas it is painted on.


Lord,

How much energy I expend on caring for my home, and it is good, and worthy that I do so. Still I ask You these most important things: Fill me with wisdom, that I might be a builder, Give me understanding so that all that You enable me to build will be lasting, and Finally, fill me with the knowledge of You and your son that so I will have a heart and a home that are abundant with the pleasant and precious treasures that will create an inheritance of joy and peace for my children, their children, and all You bring into our lives.

Your Beloved (Sowing Seeds in Faith)

No comments:

Post a Comment