Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 20: Fan the Flame

Fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you…” 2 Timothy 1:6

The day is gloomy outside, and my emotions have been tempted to follow suit. My youngest daughter awoke last night with symptoms of the flu, just as I was laying my head to sleep. This morning my son awakened me to inform me that he would be late to his first period class. The one class he is struggling in. It almost seemed as if the sun refused to shine for me, both beyond the glass of my windows, and inside of my mind.

The day became one of prayerfulness, as I found myself constantly taking my gloomy thoughts, my justified concerns, and my frustrating emotions, back to Jesus. A day spent wrestling with the dark landscape of my mind, trying to creep its way into my very soul.

As I sat down to write, the sky darkened, and my windows framed the grey of an impending storm, and then a thought tugged at the corner of my brain, “Light a fire.”
Matches in hand, I watched as my fireplace filled the room with the warmth and brilliance of the dancing flames.

Light a fire.

As Christians, the Holy Spirit fills our very soul with the peace and passion of a flame kindled inside of each of us. Our emotions, our actions, or our lack of action, can keep us from using the gift that God has placed in us. It is our responsibility to fan the flame inside of us, to act on the gift and the passion that burns within, and watch as it fills our lives with the warmth and brilliance of the Christ himself.

Fan the flame.


Lord,

Thank you that when I come to you in the midst of my gloom, when my landscape is dark with impending storms, you remind me not only of who You are, but who I am. Train me to be an excellent flame keeper, and to keep the fire burning strong and brilliant, until that day when it is replaced by the astounding glory of Your presence.

I am amazed at the thought.

Your Beloved

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, Thank you for this reminder. I too have been feeling the gloom but you are right. We have the matches in our hands and it is up to us to start the fire back up. Beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this thought today. It has been gloomy all week, don't even have the decorations up or even felt like it...but you post has gotten me back on track. Love the part about the matches.

    ReplyDelete