Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 53: Created to Create

“And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works…”

Exodus 31:3-4

When I was a young woman I was wooed to the love of Christ through the beauty of the sunrise, and the majesty of the Southern California mountain tops framed against the incredible clarity of a crisp blue sky. The creative works of an artistic designer called to my heart, and I wanted to know this Creator, and live within the purposefulness of his design.

As a young mother, feeling the presence of life growing within, I began to understand the intimacy with which this Designer was building the little child inside of me, and in awe realized that He had taken the very same care with me.

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
Psalm 139:14

Like the beautiful child growing within me, I was His artwork, the very masterpiece on which He would proudly sign His name. Understanding His value on me began a process of transformation inside of my heart, my soul, and in time, my mind. My acceptance of myself as His intimate creation, designed lovingly, imbued with purpose took decades to truly change my paradigm regarding my own value, but as I embraced my designer’s view of who I truly am, I found myself passionate to be the priceless artwork on which He had so lovingly labored.

The act of creation, by its nature requires the pouring out of the most intimate parts of the creator. The imprints of the very soul of the artist are left there on the canvas of their creation, and no truly inspired painter, sculptor, architect, or songwriter can walk away from their work not having laid a remnant of themselves within the very design of their work. And so it is that I have come to understand that the imprint, the very image of my Designer is written all over me, and as such I too have been made to create.

“And I have filled him with the Spirit of God… to design artistic works…”

The thought that my Creator has filled me with His Spirit simply for the purpose of being an artistic and creative being causes my heart to leap, and a smile to fill my lips. In Him, I am created to create, and so it is for each and every one of His beautiful creations. We are made in His image, filled with His Spirit to have the utter delight of being creators. His inspiration inspired and privileged to use our unique talents and skills to bring beauty, and order, and new life. Amazing!

He has given us the Holy Spirit as our guide and our instructor. When we submit our hearts, our minds, our hands, our eyes, our lips, and our very being to the instruction of the Holy Spirit he puts every moment of every hour of our lives to good use. By His grace we are each redeemers, creators skilled in the ministry of reconciliation. As we as believers avail ourselves daily to the grace and promptings of the Spirit, He covers our weaknesses and in the place of our flaws He infuses us with wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and creativity, all for the purpose of showing the love of an amazing Designer like the crisp clarity of a crystal blue sky.


“We are His creation-created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.”
Ephesians 2:10


My Father,

I am overjoyed at the works of your hands, and I cannot help but praise You! My heart truly delights at your creation, and in the knowledge that You have not only created me for a beautiful purpose, but have filled my very being with your Spirit, that I might walk in your perfect design.

You honor me, and my heart is in awe!

I love You,

Your Beloved

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this, Stacey. I have never thought of this before! It is so true. This is why as I yearn to be more like Him, I also feel such an intense drive to express it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete