Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 52: Wind-driven

“You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it's headed next. That's the way it is with everyone 'born from above' by the wind of God, the Spirit of God."

John 3:8


Each year in July, I celebrate the turning of my age with some planning and goal setting. Unlike the population at large setting New Year’s Resolutions and the like, I have found it suited my sense of order to function on my own fiscal calendar…perhaps a nod to marching to the beat of my own drummer, or in my case the song that I am absentmindedly humming aloud, words changed and tucked into my humming whenever it “feels right.”

The spending of a year is an amazing and awesome prospect, and I do not take my planning lightly, nor do I undertake the project of setting goals without careful consideration and prayerfulness. I understand my days are numbered, and I know that without question, they are not my own. Finally, I realize that no matter how circumspect I might be in this planning process, the seasons turn with colors new, and the winds blow in directions not at my choosing.

And so it has been over these last months that the wind of God has been rustling in my life, and I have felt as the birds in the trees, sheltered from the storms, but perched in readiness to spread my wings at a moment’s notice, waiting only for direction from the Keeper of the Wind.

The turning of the calendar to this New Year has brought with it the joy of an engagement for our household, and the busyness of planning an imminent wedding, followed by an out-of-state move. In the midst of the joyous preparations another child has been finalizing her acceptance for a job offer that will take her from west coast to east. For yet another child college applications are being filled out, transcripts are being processed, and thoughts of college life stretch our already packed brains. In the midst of the delight of love committed, the separation anxiety of jobs and colleges far from home, and the hard work that all of these changes have brought, I have sought to continue to move steadily, though slowly and prayerfully, toward the goals set in the month of summer sun.

And then the winds changed, and my oldest daughter with marathon strength, delivered my first grandchild into the world, and came home from the hospital with a beautiful blue-eyed baby boy and a walker and brace in tow, to aide in the healing of a bone cracked in the delivery process.

And suddenly all of my priorities changed, and wings spread I laid aside everything that might distract me, and boarded a plane to go where the wind was leading. Now rather than a calendar filled with my own plans and goals, my days and my nights were filled with diaper changes, baby laundry, early morning feedings, rocking chairs, watching the new mommy as she delighted in her beautiful son, and the pure joy and satisfaction of knowing that I was exactly where I was supposed to be. Wind-driven.

For as long as I walk on this earth, I want to be about the business of the Wind-Keeper. Sometimes I may find that the plans He has for me are already written neatly into my calendar, goals and hopes carefully prayed for and chosen, still, I will be careful to keep my ear trained for the rustling of the leaves, and my wings ready, for often, the winds blow this way and that in a more wonderful pattern than any plan I could have imagined.


“In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9


Lord,

Daily, moment by moment, give me the joy of being led by the wind of your Spirit. How delightful are your plans, O Lord, may my heart always be ready to take wing and fly in whatever direction You may lead.

With a joyful and grateful heart,

Your Beloved

2 comments:

  1. Oh Stacy, I could feel every emotion in your heart as you placed them into words. This was truly inspirational. What a wonderful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes... may He ever lead...
    congrats on the first grandchild... my forth coming in January :)

    ReplyDelete